BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, April 25, 2010

How Low Can You Go?


I just LOVE super Saturday savings. I started extreme couponing about six months ago, and it has saved us hundreds of dollars. At this point, probably thousands. Couponing takes a certain level of patience and dedication, but it is something I am definitely willing to commit myself to. Now, there have certainly been times when I was too tired to research my local sales and I ended up going to the store without coupons. However, I always leave the store feeling cheated. I know all too well you should never pay full price for anything!

I have been teaching my oldest daughter, Makenzie, the importance of couponing and living a frugal lifestyle. We did a pretty good job this weekend during our shopping trip to Publix. We left with $120 worth of groceries and only spent $45 out of pocket.

I wrote the following just one week after I began couponing. It was appropriate months ago, and it is still appropriate today. I will close with these final thoughts and share it here on my blog:

"When I was driving home from the store tonight, I realized my desire to sit down and articulate just how much I am thankful for what God is doing in my life. Around two weeks ago, I decided it was time to make some changes in my weekly shopping routines. I started clipping coupons and visiting different websites that teach mothers how to pinch pennies and be frugal shoppers. All to my delight, in just one week of disciplined shopping with coupons & researching sales, I think I've saved over $300. We have never had so much food in our kitchen and spent so little. It has taken a certain level of commitment to make a meal plan, research my sale papers and organize coupons, but it has most definitely been worth every second. Not only do I owe it to my Lord and Savior to be a good steward of the money he has so graciously given our family, but I owe it to the parents who so unselfishly gave to me for so many years of my life. This alone is reason enough, but I am doing my children an injustice if I fail to teach them about wise spending habits. I am beyond excited about what the future holds as I stick to a plan, remain focused, and watch our savings increase. The Lord says 'to whom much is given, much is expected'.....and I'm not necessarily referring to material possessions or money. When God gives us the knowledge, He wants us to use it."

0 comments: